Monday, January 27, 2014

Off Again

As I said on my other blog, my writing has been lacking. However, it hasn't been for a lack of things to write about. For some reason, the writing urge just hasn't hit me very often; except for today apparently. This is my second blog post in about an hour. So what prompted this one?
Well, I'm off to Nationals.
Who would have thought just two months ago that I'd be preparing for Nationals? The competition is being held in Ottawa and starts on Friday. That means Coach T, Nala and I will set off on Thursday on the long drive.
There are three races we'll be entering: the 1.25 skate ski event on Friday, the 10 K classic ski which I think is on Saturday, and the 5 K skate ski that should be Sunday.
I thought the 10 K classic event was a bit of a stretch as we're still working on my fitness base, but to be skate skiing in a race already? I've only been out on skate skis four time now which means, unless we get some skate skiing in between now and Thursday, my race Friday will be my fifth time. I don't expect fireworks or blazing times. My goal is just to finish and to do the best I can. I actually enjoy skate skiing, but my technique certainly is not pretty. You should see me flailing up the hills. Regardless of what it looks like, I will cross that finish line all three days and really that is all I can ask of myself at this stage; especially since many of the coaches and athletes we met out in Alberta told me that I wouldn't be skate skiing until next year.
Wish me luck: I think I may need it. :)

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. We appreciate your comments.