Monday, April 16, 2012

Yay!

Tonight is the night: I am off to meet potential guide runners and I am so excited. Okay, a bit nervous as well, but mostly excited. I'm trying to keep that in check a bit as I could get there and the runners may decide that guiding is not for them, but at least we're all giving it a shot.
Tenie, my best friend, has agreed to come with me because she's awesome like that. Actually, she is coming along to help me figure out the route from the bus stop to the sport complex where the runners meet. That is one small obstacle blind people have to figure out, but really, in the grand scheme of things, it's a small worry for me. Tenie is great at laying out routes for me and giving me the details I need to get to my destination safely and Glacier and I are a pretty solid working team. So, once she shows us a few times, I think we'll be able to get there on our own.
I'm also glad she's coming because she really knows how to help me break the tension about my disability; if there's any. I've emailed back and forth with the one woman who is interested in guiding and I kind of get the sense that the tension that comes along with the unknown probably won't be there. However, if it is, Tenie being there will smooth everything out.
I'm not entirely sure what we'll be doing with regards to a workout, but it will probably be light while we figure out how to run in sync and get used to one another's movements. Plus, the guides will have to get used to running tethered to someone else; slower speeds are a good idea. We'll be running along a wide promenade that parallels the sea and so it may be cold, but the width of the path will be an advantage for us. It is pretty smooth, with very few ground obstacles and since it is so wide, it will be easy to navigate around pedestrians and other fixed obstacles.
I haven't completely figured out where Glacier will wait while I run and that is another reason why Tenie is coming. She will hang out with Glacier for this practice and it will give me an opportunity to speak to the people at the sport complex to see if he can wait for me in their office during other workouts. I am so lucky to have such a patient, selfless and caring friend.
I realise this post is slightly inarticulate and all over the place, but I think it's the nerves and excitement. So, I will leave it for now and go and start getting my stuff ready; have to pack water and shoes and make sure  all three dogs are fed before heading out the door. Not to mention, I'll need a snack as well since I'm hypoglycemic...I'm rambling again. :)
See you on the other side, hopefully with guides in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We appreciate your comments.