Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It's all Good

Today I headed to my new gym for my "induction" session. Mr. K and I have been going there for just over three weeks now, but it took us a while to have our introduction. The guy who showed us around and explained the different machines was incredibly helpful and Mr. K and I were both extremely impressed at his instructions and explanations. He had obviously had thought out what he was going to show us and how best to deliver it. That in and of itself is impressive. We also may have struck an agreement that would be fantastic for my training.
As we were leaving the gym, he asked what we'd be up to for the rest of the afternoon. Mr. K said he had school work and I told him I had to give a massage. I haven't put a massage business into full swing, but I work on some clients from time to time. Today is one of those days. When I had been moving around the gym, I had mentioned my desire to compete in triathlon and he said that he'd be happy to help me with some workouts. He then suggested, half in passing, as I was leaving that we should trade triathlon instruction for massages. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a good idea.
Having some instruction would help me out greatly as I feel I've sort of run into a wall with regards to training ideas. Not to mention, he may know a person or two who would be willing guides. Paying for coaching is incredibly expensive and I just don't have that kind of money right now. So, trading skills works for me.
I've also been in contact with Para Triathlon Canada, thanks to a friend's suggestion, and they seem keen to help me with obtaining coaches, guides and perhaps a tandem bike. I don't exactly know what is all involved, but we're supposed to have a Skype conversation in the next few days. If I could somehow bring the personal trainer into the mix, that could make things easier for the Para Triathlon people.
It seems kind of funny to me that this whole triathlon thing, or even marathon running for that matter, is only slightly about the training and way more about finding the correct support network. I think all athletes need a support network to be successful, but I think athletes' with a disability networks have to be that much more larger and solid. I've been writing for months about small victories and potential help: I feel like that's all I write about. It's probably because, as of right now, I'm doing more of the leg work to get that network in place as opposed to training consistently. However, training consistently really needs to become a priority, otherwise, all of this will be for nothing. That said, at least it's finally all starting to move forward.
As for that training consistently, I'm off for a long run tonight with Laura. Let's hope the rain holds off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We appreciate your comments.