Wednesday, December 21, 2011

It's Official

Becoming a triathlete has been something I have had in the works for just under three years now. I'm not even sure I'd call myself a triathlete just yet as I haven't even raced. Perhaps the best way to word it is that I am training for a triathlon. It's been in the last seven months or so that things have really started to come together for me. There is still a lot of ground work to be laid, not only with regards to fitness, but also in logistics as training as a totally blind athlete. However, there has been a person who has played a key role in my success up until this point and I am happy to say that she and her crew have welcomed me into their ranks.
Jan Ditchfield is dedicated to furthering blind and visually impaired people's participation in physical activity; more specifically, triathlon. It was when I was put in contact with her back in May, that things really started falling into place. Jan has been a mover and a shaker for me and a catalyst in getting my triathlon career actually in gear. I've been able to follow her lead and suggestions and have had the success in making triathlon related contacts thanks to the ground work she laid. Without these contacts, my dreams of one day competing in a triathlon would not be possible.
Won With One
is a team of visually impaired and totally blind athletes striving to compete in triathlon, whether for personal gain or with aspirations of reaching the 2016 Paralympic Games. The group is currently working on obtaining "non-profit" status and relies heavily on donations to operate. Won With One, with the help of many sponsors and donors, provides its athletes with tandem bikes, guides and various other things needed in order to compete. The group is based in Ottawa Canada, but reaches nationally, and now I suppose, internationally; considering I am in Scotland. I am incredibly grateful to Jan Ditchfield and to Won With One for taking me on, despite the distance, and can't wait to start racing with them in 2012. I think it's going to be a very exciting year and even more so now that I am a member of Won With One.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We appreciate your comments.