Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Gearing Up For 2012

As 2011 comes to a close I look back on the last two months and know that I have a lot to be thankful for. I also know that I have a lot to look forward to in 2012 as well.
It was just two months ago that I finally managed to make my three year dream of training for a triathlon come true. My training isn't as consistent as I'd like it to be, but that is a goal for 2012. I am grateful for the progress I have made in such a short period of time: if someone had told me that I would run in my first 5 K race in just over a month of beginning this journey, I wouldn't have believed them, but it happened.
I am grateful to the trainers at the gym where I am currently training. their patience and helpfulness go a long way. One trainer in particular is wonderful; leaving me to do my own thing, but giving me advice and assistance when I ask for it. He's great about reading me my heart rate during workouts and checking in with me and encouraging where needed. His interest and assistance is sincere and I really apreciate that.
I am grateful to my husband, friends and family for going along with me on this crazy ride. A lot of my friends were there when I was competing for Canada as a swimmer and have been great about making sure I eat enough. My husband, although a bit resistant at first, has been very supportive in coming to the gym with me and being understanding of the time I spend training, stretching and eating. My parents have been and always will  be supportive of most of my crazy schemes and for that I love them and am very grateful. Without the support of these key people in my life, training for the 2016 Paralympic Games would not even be an option.
As for 2012, I have a few goals laid out, one of them being implementing a more consistent training regiment. Consistency is the key to success in any arena and I think getting in more frequent swims and bike rides will make a huge difference.
The biggest goal for 2012 is to actually compete in my first triathlon and in order to do that I need to follow through on the aforementioned goal. I must also get time out on a tandem bike. Another goal, which will make my competing goal more of a reality, is to find an actual training plan to follow. Thus far I have been, if you will pardon the pun, fumbling in the dark; using my swimming knowledge and hoping for the best. In order to be a  successful triathlete, a solid training plan must be utilized.
So, it is with all of these goals in mind that I welcome 2012 and say good-bye to 2011. Thank you to the people who have made the last two months possible and to those who will make the years to come possible as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We appreciate your comments.